Translate

Thursday, 11 May 2017

An agricultural gear change that ticks all the boxes.

As the Sabb gears need to be held in place, I had to figure out a way of either using levers and linkages, or maybe gearwheels and chains but I came up with a simpler long sprung steel lever.

I cut a slot in the lower cockpit shelf and added notched sections of chopping board, to hold it in neutral, forward and reverse.

It worked a treat, the lever springing into the various slots but, as it was so long, it vibrated badly, the solution was to make a second shelf, also with notches.

A proper gearchange!!

I decided to carve the Sabb logo into the top shelf. Also pictured is the newly restored brass water pump, unrecognisable from the tarnished and rust streaked lump that I started with.

The top shelf after carving and staining.

My motorbike on the tugdeck update.

The last time that I tried to put my 1959 B.S.A. G14 1,000 cc v-twin onto Freyja's tugdeck, I hadn't altered the tugdeck to allow it to sit down in the welldeck and it didn't have it's engine fitted.

It was a bit hit and miss, as I haven't worked out the ideal length of chain on the crane hook and have yet to buy some suitably sized loading strops.

The reason I've altered the tugdeck, by adding a 45 degree sloping section, is to allow the wide pullback handlebars to clear the tarpaulins, the weight will be lower, making the boat less top heavy and it will also make it more difficult to steal.

All snug as a bug in a rug!