Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Finally getting some paint in the bilge ;o)

Finally getting our bilge to look like it should.

I had thought that it would look like this months ago, but that was before we found the water and diesel leaks, new steel and chemical-resistant garage floor paint make a World of difference.

Badly needed re-wire

When we bought the boats, the surveyor that did the pre-purchase survey, missed a lot of very serious and dangerous faults and then rather unhelpfully stated that as he was not as gas engineer he couldn't check our gas (even though we had a bubble-tester!)
He also said that while the electrics all worked, they were very dated.
When we came to insure them, our insurance company said we wouldn't be covered in the event of a claim involving gas or electric!
We got Julian (N.B. Loddon) to re-wire Christina, which had very simple electrics. Now he has also re-wired Freyja, her wiring was a mess of red wires.
The wiring loom as it was, every wire was red! Grrrr!
The back of the instrument panel

The leisure batteries

A mixed up mess with strangely wired sockets, dodgy consumer unit

The back of the fuse panel
One of the things that was obviously dodgy on Freyja was her Heath Robinson-esque wiring.
We enlisted the help of Julian, who lives locally (Loddon on the canalworld forum) as he had done a good job on Christina's wiring.
Our new 1600w pure sine inverter fitted to replace the little 600w Rolson jobbie.
Galvanic isolator and consumer unit below the shelf
C-form 16amp inlet and outlet sockets on the tug deck bulkhead (and on the stern bulkhead) allows the pair to be connected easily whichever way they are facing and makes using power tools easier as there is always a socket nearby.

A brass double 240v socket set into the bedroom bulkhead and the 240v cables to the tugdeck tucked away in the dark trunking.