Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Removing a rust trap from Freyja's bow

When we were looking at buying our boats the waste of space that masqueraded as a pre-purchase surveyor (Small Boat Surveys) missed many extremely serious faults that have cost a fortune to fix. 
One of the few faults that he did find was that the water filler pipe had been leaking into the bow, which was full of pea shale, this caused the bow to rust from the inside, so we had to re-plate both sides of the bow.

The, very rotten, bow locker has been cut out.

Emptying the pea shale that had been put inside the bow locker (as ballast), this became one hell of a moisture trap.

We bought a new (mini) twin tub

There was a full size domestic washing machine in Freyja when we first bought her, we got rid of it as it seemed it would be a waste of electric and would empty the water tank too quickly.
We decided that we would buy a human-powered machine, but it seems that the few practical designs that were out there were not actually commercially available.

After another search, we came up with this 3.5 kg washer from Good Ideas, it can spin dry, 2 kg very efficiently. It fits in the bath which makes filling it easy, using the shower head. And then the water can be pumped out into the sink. It is light enough to be lifted out when having a shower and luckily fits on the captain's chest opposite the bath.

Tuesday, 13 January 2015

A new use for a dog bowl

Take one 8.5" stainless steel dog bowl, £1.50 from Irthlingborough boot sale

Drill 2 holes

Insert one spotlight and add one brass porthole, then bond three brass strips to the glass to give that vintage look.

A problem with a chimney flue

On a few occasions I've lit the Morso Squirrel in the bedroom and the smoke alarm has gone off. I then noticed a witness mark caused by smoke on the ceiling next to the flue.
After removing the split aluminium dish that slides up to the ceiling I found that somehow the soft aluminium collar under it had become buckled and lodged on top of the flue allowing smoke to escape

After prising the collar back out and pulling it back down over the flue pipe.

The first layer of heatproof sealant, looks messy but it's already sealed and a few more layers will be added before I replace the outer collar.

Monday, 12 January 2015

Working out where to park my bike

Under our tugdeck there was a badly insulated box that allowed the bed to be pushed under it, making more room in the front cabin and turning the bed into a settee.
I will be altering the tugdeck so that my old motorbike can sit into it, but rebuild it all so that the bed can still be pushed back, I'll re-insulate it using better materials and make a panel that can be slotted into the centre of the tugdeck for when the bike isn't onboard.
The tugdeck removed, along with most of the insulated box.

The plan is that the bike will sit in the tugdeck, rather than on it, this puts it lower making the boat less top-heavy, it also means that I won't have to loosen and twist the wide pull-back handlebars down so that they clear the tarpaulins. Doing it this way will also make it extremely difficult to steal my bike.

The bed in night mode

Here the bed is pushed back, normally there wouldn't be the headboard down the side of the bed or so much stuff piled up on it!