Sunday, 5 February 2017

A crap Xmas present? Composting toilet is the way forward.

We agreed that for Xmas we'd buy each other bits of a compost toilet kit, how romantic?!! This we'll put in the butty, we only use our cassette in Freyja to pee in and don't even put toilet paper into it. If we needed a 'big job' we've always walked up to use the marina toilets, but they are sometimes blocked.
Our seasonal gift to each other was the urine diverter and the specially adapted toilet seat from In this photo I'm trying to work out the height and position by blancing it on a cardboard box.

I cut out the hole needed for the urine diverter into a piece of hardwood that I'd been given.

Shaping around the front of the 'thunderbox'.

Getting there, the compost toilet is now usable but unfinished, as it still has no front on the 'thunderbox'

We keep some woodash in the yoghurt pot, this is used as a carbon cover which is sprinkled onto the solids.
The business end :- A painter's bucket bought from B & M for £2.99 with a green garden bag from Wilko for the solids and a four litre container for the urine.

Glenda's loss, Sabb's gain!

I first got the idea to replace our BMC with a Sabb when it was suggested by Paul Johnston who we met on Peterborough Embankment.
Paul recently paid us a visit, having recently got his own Sabb 2JHR running. I was a happy puppy when he confirmed the way I'd gone about connecting things up. But he also showed my a photo of a filter inside the thermostat housing and which would need cleaning. I took said housing off, destroying the gasket, only to find no filter.
The thermostat housing with it's new gasket but minus it's filter

Now with added kitchen sieve/filter!

Sorting out the Sabb's waterworks

When the Sabb was fitted I was told to connect the engine coolant and calorifier to the existing raw water. The problem with doing this is that I wouldn't be able to use antifreeze, then, if the weather turned freezing, I would have to drain the system and on refilling get all the air out.
Freyja still had her old skin tanks, so I cleaned them out and will try her out using a sealed system.
I could have connected it up quite quickly using rubber piping, but decided to used mostly 22mm with a little 28mm and a few 15mm adapters, all in soldered copper with only short vibration damping lengths of rubber pipe on each run. This meant that I could route all the pipes away from the bits of the bilge that I wanted clear so that I can climb in easily when I need to work on the engine. It also looks nice when polished!