Translate

Tuesday 9 April 2013

WooHoo! Engine de-winterised and started and we have hot water in Freyja ;o)

We sucked a lot of water, oil and crap out of our engine bilge, re-connected all the hoses, primed the raw water pump and started the engine (very easily)
But the calorifier wasn't getting the the water hot, so, I carefully disconnected the feed and return pipes, expecting boiling water to gush over my hands, but nothing but a trickle, pushed a length of plastic pipe into the hose and blew down it, out came a load of rust and rusty water, then put a funnel in the top of the pipe and started filling it, using it as a header, when I got clean water out, I re-connected the hoses and started the engine again, this time the water got nice and hot.
But then the raw-water stopped pumping out, primed the raw water system using the same method and it worked again for a short while, but the hoses were collapsing so I'll have to replace them with better ones and have to hope that the raw water impellor has not self-destructed.
Oh, how I'd love a nice engine room, so I wouldn't have to stick my head down a hole to fix my engine!

No comments:

Post a Comment